Would you like to know what are the causes and the consequences that Global Warming and Greenhouse Effect have? The only thing you have to do is to read this text to know more about what does the NASA says from those two topics.
Global Warming is “the rise in the average temperature of Earth’s atmosphere and oceans. This process began in the late 19th century and has continued until nowadays. Experts are convinced that Global Warming was caused by the increase of the concentration of greenhouse gases that are produced by human’s activities such as deforestation or the burning of fossil fuels”.
Greenhouse effect is “the process by which thermal radiation from a planetary surface is absorbed by atmospheric greenhouse gases, and is re-radiated in all directions. Since part of this re-radiation is back towards the surface and the lower atmosphere, it results in an elevation of the average surface temperature above what it would be in the absence of the gases”.
Now you will see some impacts of global change nowadays:
- More cold days and nights in winter
- More hot days and nights in summer
- More heat waves
- Increased the incidence of extreme high sea level
- Global area affected by droughts
- Increase the activity of the tropical cyclone activity
Now you will see some regional impacts of global change forecast by the IPCC:
- North America: Decreasing snowpack in the western mountains, increasing 5-20% the rain-fed agriculture and increasing and more duration of the waves.
- Latin America: A replacement of tropical forest, a risk in biodiversity has brought the extinction on many animal and a change in the available water for humans
- Europe: Increased risk of island flash floods, more frequent floods, increased of the erosion from storms, glacial retreat and reduction of snow and in the crop productivity.
- Africa: the inhabitants will be exposed to water stress, reduction of the yields due to rain-fed and compromising agricultural production.
- Asia: Fresh water will decrease, increasing of floods and death rate from floods and droughts.
CAUSES OF GREENHOUSE EFFECT.
The Earth is covered with an air’s blanket called “atmosphere”, which is made of several gases. The sun is hotter than the Earth so he has to heat the Earth (radiation) with his rays those rays go through the atmosphere and arrive in the Earth. When the Earth is warm, this heat goes back to the atmosphere and the atmosphere’s gases, stops that heat in order not to escape to the space. These gases are called greenhouse gases and the natural process between the sun, the atmosphere and the Earth is called the ‘Greenhouse Effect’, because it works the same way as a greenhouse.
This effect is caused by some reasons:
- Deforestation: Increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and this is one of the main reasons why photosynthesis cannot take place. Deforestation has increased because of the burning of wood.
- Burning of Fossils: Greenhouse gases can also be released into the atmosphere due to the burning of fossil fuels, oil, coal and gas. They are used in factories and are the principal reason of greenhousing.
- Electrical Appliances: Another man-made that have caused Greenhouse effect is the use of electrical appliances that emit greenhouse gases to the atmosphere; those gases are called Chlorofluorocarbons and are produced by refrigerators, aerosol cans…
- Population Growth: It is an indirect factor and one of the major causes of greenhouse effect. If the population increases, the needs increase and that create an increase of the manufacturing and the industry process that means that they produce more gases to the atmosphere.
CAUSES OF GLOBAL WARMING.
Global Warming is caused by many things. The causes are divided into two groups, man-made causes, and natural causes.
1) Natural causes: Are normally created by nature that produces methane gas that is a greenhouse gas that traps the heat in the atmosphere.
2) Man-made causes: There are many man-made causes but the ones that makes more damage are: pollution, burning fossils, population and transportation that normally are used by people when they have to drive vehicles.
CONSEQUENCES OF GREENHOUSE EFFECT.
It is very difficult to forecast the consequences of global warming since natural processes as rain, hail, storms… depend on many issues. The predictable’s effects are:
(1) More droughts and flooding: When the weather gets warmer, evaporation from land and sea increases. Famine is the main problem that this factor can caused due to crops failure.
(2) Less ice and snow: The icebergs and glaciers are shrinking faster than before and this problem can caused drought and a lack of domestic water supply.
(3) More weather incidents: The warmer climate will cause more heatwaves, more violent rainfall and increase the number of storms.
(4) Rising the sea level: this happens due to the ice’s melting and can caused the disappearance of areas that are now above the sea level. For this reason, plants will be affected and there will be more diseases spread by insects.
CONSEQUENCES OF GLOBAL WARMING
7.2 degrees is the additional time that scientist have said about the heating that the Earth could get during the 21st century. This rise of temperature will have negatives effects on the earth’s climate and on all things that are alive. Some of these changes have just begun:
i. Weather patterns: hot, dry weather led to wildland dire season that destroy the major part of the forests.
ii. Health: Heat waves contribute to the death
iii. Wildlife: many animals are beginning to die due to the changes that are beginning with the global warming
iv. Glaciers and sea level: will increase due to the melting of glaciers.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: “Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time”.
- Chair Henry Kendall: “We the undersigned, senior members of the world’s scientific community, hereby warn all humanity of what lies ahead. A great change in our stewardship of the earth and the life on it is required, if vast human misery is to be avoided and our global home on this planet is not to be irretrievably mutilated”.
- Sarah Tsao: “The Earth is like a giant oven; it’s getting really hot”.
- Steve Lowe: “The threat of severe global climate imbalance and localized climate chaos will continue to accelerate as fossil-fueled civilization continues down its current consumptive-oriented path. Methane from termites, cows, garbage dumps and rice paddies threaten to inevitably unleash compacted methane currently locked in polar ice. Reckless burning of fossil fuels unleashing long-cycle carbon dioxide is only the catalyst. Remember that “short-cycle” carbon dioxide is okay — local combustion / conversion of plant-life that was alive the previous season — only releases C02 “in balance” with the C02 that was inhaled by the living biomass/plant. Every action has consequences! Every day is Earth Day!”
- Sienna Miller “If each one of us does our bit, we will be helping to keep Global Warming from harming our countries”
- Brian Eno: “I would like to see a future where artists think that they have a right to contemplate things like Global Warming”
- Dennis Miller: “The radical right is so homophobic that they are blaming Global Warming on th AIDS quilt”
- David Suzuki: “The failure of world leaders to act on the critical issue ofGlobal Warming is often blamed on economic considerations”
- Freeman Dyson: “Unfortunately the Global Warming histeria, as I see it, is driven by politics more than sciences”
- John Coleman: “Global Warming: It is a hoax. It is bad science. It is high-jacking public policy. It is the greatest scam in history”
- Mahatma Gandhi: “We must become the change we want to see in the world.”
- William Cowper: Who loves a garden loves a greenhouse too.
- Elon Musk: “You could warm Mars up, over time, with greenhouse gases”
- Jack Herer: “You see, the Greenhouse Effect is a direct result of burning fossil or old carbon fuels”
- Joan Jett: “Factory farming is one of the biggest contributions to the most serious environmental problems. The meat industry causes more greenhouse gas emissions tan all the cars, trucks, planes and ships in the world.”
- Gina McCarthy: “Greenhouse gas pollution, throught its contribution to global climate change, presents a significant thread to Americans’ health and to the environment upon which our economy and security depends”.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: (All taken on the 19th December 2013)
– NASA: “Global Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet” (2007):http://climate.nasa.gov/effects
– ThinkQuest Junior by Team J003411: “Causes of Global Warming” (Copyright March, 2000): http://library.thinkquest.org/J003411/causes.htm
– Roy D’Silva: “Causes of the Greenhouse Effect” (Last Updated: March 20, 2012); ©2000-2012, 2013 Buzzle.com®: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/causes-greenhouse-effect.html
– Natural Resources Defense Council : „Consequences of Global Warming“ (Last revised 12/10/2008): http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/fcons.asp
– British Geological Survey: “Consequences of greenhouse-effect temperature rises” © NERC 2013:http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/climateChange/CCS/consequencesOfTemperatureIncrease.html
– Project by students for students: “Views and predictions”; Oracle ThinkQuest:http://library.thinkquest.org/11013/gwviews.html
– Brainy Quote: “Greenhouse Quotes” © 2001 – 2013 BrainyQuote®:http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/greenhouse.html
– Brainy Quote: “Global Warming Quotes” © 2001 – 2013 BrainyQuote®:http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/global_warming.html
Published by Aroa Sobrino Esteban